There are different types of boots that are intended to be used for a specific type of work. If you are wondering what a steel shank in a work boot is, you definitely are searching for really tough and reliable shoes.
Shoes with a steel shank always provide proper support and protection for the feet. These boots are designed for tough work conditions when your foot needs lots of support and protection against external hazards.
Within their capacity, the shoe performs the specific supporting functions and at the same time, they protect your feet as well. The typical feature to provide optimal support to the feet comes through the shank in the majority of the cases. The shank of your footwear points to that particular section of your supportive structure that falls between the insole and outsole.
What Is Steel Shank and How it is Planted Within Boots?
Steel shank boots are widely preferred as work boots in different fieldwork, factories and construction sites. A steel shank is actually a flat piece inserted inside your boot. This could be seen just beneath the arch of your footwear, particularly between the heel and the ball area.
Contrary to popular belief, your shoes wouldn’t become heavy if it has a steel shank. Rather, the steel stuff employed in the shank is actually a very thin piece that has natural flexibility and springiness.
It is imperative to note here that the shoes that come with steel shanks have a stainless steel insert, which is designed to fit the natural shape of your footwear.
Steel Vs Composite Shanks
You already have an idea now that what steel shanks are. As far as the composite shanks are concerned, they are designed more towards the provisioning of a relaxed feeling. They are typically designed to be much lighter than steel shanks.
However, steel shanks have their own set of advantages over the composite type. Composite shank boots are more expensive, which is due to their architecture. For this reason, they don’t make a good deal in case of using those at rough workplaces.
The work boots with steel shanks provide superior protection in the toe area. Insulation of steel shanks is poorer in comparison and doesn’t make a very good deal in colder climates. Composite shank shoes are suitable for colder climates, while steel shanks are good in mild or hotter conditions.
Why Do Work Boots Need To Have A Steel Shank?
The steel shank boots have pretty much become norm inactive workplaces such as warehouses, factories, and construction sites etc.
The following are some key benefits that you could extract from a steel shank boot at the workplace:
- The work boots with steel shanks tend to last longer and don’t lose their shape or structure. This makes them a good long term investment and helps you in saving money.
- The reliability of the shoe is another key benefit, in most of the active workplaces. Once you have a top-quality steel shank boot, then you do not need to switch to any other brand for a good period of time.
- The steel shank boots are helpful for those people who have any kind of foot-related medical condition. The conditions could be anything from flat feet to fallen arches and plantar fasciitis etc. The excellent arch support and other protective features would help you with your medical condition.
- The subject boots give top support to the toe area. This will help the user with optimal protection against sharp objects at the toe and also through the arch, where the steel shank is inserted. It will help you with the reduction in any injury chances and will also enhance the longevity of your boot by not puncturing its bottom.
- If you are an active worker spending long hours at work, then steel shanks would give you the optimal support. You will find them extremely comfortable and will support well for your overworked arches. Steel shanks also aid in the prevention of your feet muscles getting worn.
- The benefit can also be seen that your shoes would also have a steel insole apart from the steel shank. This steel piece runs through the full bottom length of your boot.
- The steel shank built-in your footwear also helps in maintaining the natural shape of the sole of your footwear. This is typically important for the prevention of any fatigue and discomfort.
- If your job demands you to frequently climb a ladder, then the subject footwear would minimize the pressure applied against the bottom of your feet.
Apart from the above, one major concern with steel shanks is when you go through the metal detector screeners, which are often placed at the entry of workplaces. You need to take your shoes with steel shanks off in order to clear the security screening. The same would be the case at airport screening if you are a frequent flyer as well.
Shanks are normally taken for granted by users as they are so much deeply buried inside the design of the shoes. But, the majority of high-end shoes have it as an independent feature.
The special arch support coming through the steel shank is highly desired. The structure they provide to your footwear makes them last longer.
With the help of the supportive design workers have the ability to stay easy, keep the foot in shape and assure to offer better standing, better foot shape for keeping workers active and still easy.
Conclusively, with steel shanks, you are enhancing your feet comfort and as well as the longevity of your footwear, which could be used easily in tougher jobs.
So, we can say that steel shank is meant to keep the shoe ready for lasting and sturdy support as well as keeping the foot stable in its position for long working hours. This really helps in keeping up with the active work routine that most workers may have at their workplaces for better performance.